Friday, July 20, 2012

Mama Ozzy's Jalapeno Pimento Cheese



It's been a long time since I posted any recipes!  I intend to change that over the next several days and weeks.  What have I been doing since my last post?  Enjoying my summer, that's what!  We spent a week with friends over the Fourth of July celebrating Doug's and my 50th birthdays (Doug's brthday is in April and mine is in October, so July is right in the middle).  The week was filled with lots of fantastic food, lots of time floating in the lake, riding jet skis and of course cocktails!

The weather here has been insanely hot, with many many consecutive days of 100 + degree temperatures.  When its that hot, I just don't feel like cooking and heating up the house.  However one thing I did make was this delicious pimento cheese.



Pimento cheese is a southern classic, and it seems every cook has a different way of preparing it.  Pimento cheese is making a trendy resurgence in the foodie scene.  I have seen it on grilled cheese sandwiches, topping Kobe beef burgers, adorning a plate of fried green tomatoes, and even mixed into a savory bread pudding.  I love it on crackers or a sandwich.

Here is my variation.  The first thing you will notice is that I don't use any pimentos in my pimento cheese.  While I love a roasted red pepper as much as the next person, I find that it's delicate flavor gets lost in pimento cheese and results in a rather bland final product.  I MUCH prefer using pickled jalapeno peppers.  Spicy and tangy, they make this cheese spread dance and sing! I also add a generous splash of Sriracha hot chili sauce for a little extra kick... DELICIOUS!

Delicious Sriracha (rooster sauce) is delicious on everything!

This is ridiculously easy to prepare.  If you can operate a food processor or use a cheese grater, you can make this pimento cheese.  It keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator, and is terrific for late night snacking with celery sticks!

Mama Ozzy's Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
makes about 3 cups

8 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, grated
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 - 1 1/2 cups prepared mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce

In the bowl of a food processor combine the chopped onion and 1/2 of the pickled jalapenos. Process with 1/2 of the mayonnaise until very smooth.  Mixture will be very runny.

In a large bowl combine grated cheese, and jalapeno onion mixture.  Stir in remaining chopped pickled jalapenos and additional mayonnaise until your desired consistency is achieved.  Season to taste with salt pepper and Sriracha hot sauce.  Keep refrigerated.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh.... White cheddar mixed with pepper jack? That sounds incredible! Must do.

    ReplyDelete