Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mama Ozzy's Easy Hushpuppies



Hush puppies are a southern staple and are served alongside a variety of foods from BBQ to burgers.  They are delectable nuggets of cornbread and onions deep fried until they are crispy and golden.  I can eat my own weight in hush puppies and still not have enough.

This incredibly easy recipe comes to us from the people at Jiffy.  I always keep several boxes of Jiffy cornbread in the house because I use it all the time.  Its a great product, ridiculously easy to prepare and best of all very inexpensive.



To turn a Jiffy cornbread mix into hush puppies you simply need to add a little extra flour and some green onions to the mix.  I like to add self rising flour because it results in an ethereally light hush puppy.  Yum.
Simply fry them in oil and drain on paper towels and you are good to go!

Mama Ozzy's Easy Hush Puppies
makes about 2 dozen

1 8.5 oz package Jiffy corn bread mix
1/2 cup self-rising flour
2 green onions, chopped
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
Oil for frying

Preheat oil to 375 F.

In a mixing bowl whisk together egg and milk.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

Drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown, flipping once (about 3-4 minutes).  Drain on papaer towels.  Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me, if you haven't seen Beasts of the Southern Wild...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that this is a great recipe and thank you for sharing it! I used a regular onion, because thats all I had on hand. This is our go to recipe for hush puppies from now on. I have it saved on my phone for the next time.;)

    ReplyDelete