Sunday, December 26, 2010

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Whenever I make mashed potatoes I always make these because they have 1 million times the flavor of ordinary potatoes and are every bit as easy.

This is basically a guide to making mashed potatoes , not a recipe. You don't need a recipe for mashed potatoes, and since everybody's opinion of whether mashed potaotes should be smooth or lumpy, thick or thin, etc. is different I'll leave that up to you! Adjust the proportions that follow as you see fit.

But here is what I do:

First I always make a LOT. People always eat a lot of mashed potatoes for dinner, and leftover mashed potatoes ALWAYS get eaten.

5lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (Russets are good , but I love a Yukon Gold)
1 very large Sweet potato, peeled (This adds an incredible flavor depth to the potatoes , sweet and earthy, but not sickeningly sweet and mushy... just a hint of sweetness)
5-6 cloves of garlic peeled
Butter
Cream
salt

Chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into large chunks (too small of a chunk makes water-logged potatoes). Place all potatoes in a large pot and cover with about 3 inches of water. Add a generous palm-full of salt. Add the garlic to the pot (yes, just boiling the garlic with the potatoes will infuse them with garlic flavor). Boil in heavily salted water until potatoes are fork tender. Drain.

Now... time for a choice... smooth or chunky? I like both. For smooth potatoes, press the cooked potatoes through a ricer. For chunky, mash them in the bowl with a potato masher. Add butter ( I usually add about 1 stick). and mash until incorporated.

Decision time again... add some cream to the potatoes and whisk into potatoes. How much? Depends on what you like. I usually add about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of cream because I like my taters creamy and smooth.

Season generously with salt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment